Everything fits together: Our SEW-EURODRIVE system buses not only ensure that our drive technology components communicate smoothly with one another but also equally ensure smooth communication between drive, periphery and our controllers.
In applications with our control and drive technology, we also recommend SEW-EURODRIVE system bus technologies as an alternative to standardized fieldbus or Industrial Ethernet networks.
This allows you to remain really flexible: SEW-EURODRIVE system buses support central system concepts with control cabinet installations as well as decentralized drive systems, and also combinations of both.
SEW-EURODRIVE system buses are seamlessly integrated into the unit hardware. This reduces the number of bus cables required and it is even possible to have structures without any bus cables.
Save on time and costs: besides the hardware integration, the software-side integration into the components and the startup and diagnostics software all help to achieve a system that operates economically and smoothly.
Get in touch with us.
- Our experts know your industry and its requirements.
- Our global network ensures that we are there wherever and whenever you need us.
- We have the expertise and the tools to provide optimum support and advice.
Flexible system conceptscan be easily achieved thanks to our system buses: both in central control cabinet installations and in decentralized systems.
Easier to installas interfaces are avoided or completely integrated.
Simple startupas the SEW-EURODRIVE system buses are optimally adjusted to the drive electronics and the controller and are preset.
Fast data exchangeensures smooth processes and accurate status messages and therefore a system that operates economically and smoothly.
Integrated diagnostics conceptas components, network and tools are seamlessly integrated into one another.
SNI (Single Line Network Installation)
combines the advantages of reduced installation effort with the technology of Ethernet-based communication in a single innovative drive infrastructure solution:
- Electrical energy infrastructure used as basis for transferring the Ethernet-based communication signals
- Ethernet-based access to all individual participants from a central point
- Significant reduction in installation times as only supply cables need to be connected
- Maximum expansion of the line topology for up to ten drives on a cable length of 100 m in total.
- Installation with shielded standard cables in accordance with the SEW-EURODRIVE regulation, no special cables necessary
SBus (CAN-based SEW-EURODRIVE system bus)
CAN technology, which was developed for use in mobile applications is also used in automation:
- Consistent use of the multi-master functionality of the CAN for data exchange between drives, on a project-specific basis even completely without additional controllers
- The SBus also supports applications that require HART real time conditions for communications. Applications such as “Electronic Gear Unit” and “Multi-axis MotionControl” allow the clock-synchronous transfer of setpoints and actual values between the drives themselves or in the network with a controller
- Cost-efficient networking through the use of standard CAN bus cables, via screw connections in the control cabinet and, alternatively, also with M12 plug connectors standardized for DeviceNet or CANopen in decentralized applications
- Maximum extension of the line topology to 500 m. The number of drives and peripheral components is limited to 64 but is generally under 20
In networks with our controllers and our drive technology, SBusPLUS provides not only optimal integration but also additional functions for simple and fast startup:
- EtherCAT® is a HART (real time) capable communication technology, which also proves to be flexible in matters related to installation
- Star, tree and line topologies, all also with spur lines, can be implemented practically without impacting performance
- Further information is available from the ETG (EtherCAT Technology Group)
Overview of SEW-EURODRIVE system buses
|Unit family||Decentralized controller
MOVIFIT®FDC-SNI mounting position
|DHx21 control card||DHx41 control card||UHX71B control card|
|System bus||SBus (CAN) and SNI||SBus (CAN)||SBus (CAN)||SBUSPLUS (EtherCAT)||SBUSPLUS||SBus to OSC71B|
|MOVITRAC® B||via FSC||via FSC||via FSC||Yes||via FSE24B||via FSE24B||FSC|
|MOVIDRIVE® B||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||via DFE24B||via DFE24B||–|
|MOVIAXIS®||–||–||Yes||Yes||via XFE/XSE||via XFE/XSE||–|
|Control cabinet and decentralized installation|
|Decentralized drive systems|
|I/O system||–||via OCC||–||via OCC||–||via OCC||via OCE||via OCE||–|
Areas of application
|Industry||General conditions||SEW-EURODRIVE system bus Specification|
|In all areas of logistics with a focus on reduced effort during installation, startup and maintenance||SNI (Single Line Network Installation)|
|In cost-sensitive applications without controllers or networks, with few drives that are controlled by the controller with high requirements||SBus (CAN-based SEW system bus)|
|High-performance motion control mode with short cycle times and large network coverage||SBusPLUS (EtherCAT®)|